Monday, December 28, 2015


Hello!  Welcome to Perennial Petals - a little blog about Flowers and Floral Design, by me, Bridget.
I love flowers. I grew up in East Germany, close to Berlin. The wall came down when I was twelve, and I knew there was no way I could ever work somewhere regimented and disciplined like an office. I needed to be somewhere I could work with expression, make people happy, and face creative challenges. 

After coming to that conclusion,and having an early love for flowers, I decided I had to try my hand at Floral Design, and see if it was as wonderful in the real world as it was in my imagination. I worked in a flower shop for one summer and that was it. I applied for school in East Germany (near my parents) as soon as I could, attending the full three years required for Certification in Floral Design.

The three years of school were pretty intense. In Europe, it is a full curriculum: I was put through a regimen of classes on proportions, colors, all the various types of flowers and their specific care, various design techniques, the nuances between bridal design and memorial design and centerpieces and holiday pieces - the three years were packed! I also studied the business side of running a flower shop: proper accounting and organization, so that I can focus on what really matters - the customers and their satisfaction with my designs. 

All of this culminated in an extensive three-part exam (practical, written and oral), in front of an official German panel, after which I was graded and received my final certification! 

It sounds like a lot, but I adored being around flowers. I loved being surrounded by their bright colors and smells. It fascinated me all what can be done with them, even just going into a field and collecting whatever you can find and putting something beautiful together 

It has now been 20 years since I started in the floral industry and I adore it as much as the day I started. With every arraignment I make, I remember the kindness of my first boss, and how she would always say "Every single arrangement that leaves the shop has to be special." I look forward to sharing my passion and love for what I am doing through my shop - that no matter what your budget or occasion is, I can create and express whatever it is you want to say with flowers on your special day.


------------------

Bridget is the proud Owner of Flower Designs by Bridget, bringing European Certification and 20 years experience to Pinellas County, Florida, where she lives with her husband (Air Force, Ret.) and two children.  When she is not in her shop, you will find her enjoying a cup of Roiboos tea with her family and several cats and dogs (including one named Daisy).  While the holiday greens and decorations of December are her favorite, she looks forward to bringing you sunshine and smiles through flowers all year round!  

No comments:

Post a Comment